Autumn is an interesting time of year for gardens, especially in Australia, where our autumn is can be quite warm. It is the best time to prepare your lawn for winter and sets the condition for the year ahead. Here are some techniques, tips and information regarding your lawn care this autumn.
Like most things in life, prevention is better (and easier) than the cure, this is the same with your lawn. Autumn is a crucial time to keep on top of your lawn mowing.
- Mowing regularly prevents weeds from seeding and spreading throughout your lawn. Mowing off the excess grass length alleviates the stress of on your lawn and encourages the lawn to become thicker as a result.
- Each type of category of grass has a recommended length, which you should maintain for optimal lawn growth and health. So, make sure you understand the approximate height for your lawn. If in doubt, give us a call and we’d be happy to discuss it with you.
- However, leaving your lawn a little longer for winter helps protect it against frost. If the ends are burnt or killed by frost, just take the affected top layer off when you mow next.
There are numerous factors that affect how often you’ll need to water your lawn, which includes your areas climate, lawn variety and its drought tolerance, your soil type etc. Regardless of those variables, here are some basic watering rules.
- Less frequent, yet deeper soakings is the golden rule of watering. Just spraying your hose across your lawn for a couple minutes every second day will not benefit your lawn nearly as much as the once or twice a week deep soaks. Watering your lawn for a longer period of time allows the water to drain through the soil profile to the deepest level. Once the water reaches the deeper level, the roots seek it out, which develops a strong root system.
- Best time to water = early morning. This is because less water is lost through evaporation.
- Simple hydration test. To figure out whether your lawn is getting enough water, just grab a screwdriver and push it into your lawn. Be careful not to hit any pipes (obviously). However, the easier the screwdriver goes in/how far it can go in will indicate the soil hydration. The further/easier it goes in the more hydrated your lawn is. If it is really hydrated, don’t bother watering for a while as over watering is bad for your lawn and your finances.
Fertilising is the third ingredient for the perfect autumn lawn. This is the step that can make the biggest difference to your lawn. Due to the south-east Queensland climate (which doesn’t get too cold unlike some other parts of Australia), we are able to fertilise in autumn and winter. At GoTurf, we care about the condition of your lawn all year round. So we have developed a fertiliser specifically to care for your lawn during autumn and leading into winter.
Autumnblend for autumn care
We have noticed lawns tend to suffer in Winter if they aren’t fertilised in autumn. Autumn really sets a garden up for winter, it’s the time to lay the groundwork so your garden survives through Winter.
GoTurf has developed a fertiliser to help not only prepare and protect your lawn this winter but be the catalyst for its growth and greenness. Autumnblend, GoTurf’s new fertiliser, encourages strong root growth and beautiful winter colour. Ensuring your lawn maintains a shade of green through winter.
Autumnblend’s main ingredients include nitrogen, potassium and sulphate.
- Potassium is a slow release nutrient, which helps to protect your lawn coming into the colder winter months. Potassium increases plant cells health and structure.
- Nitrogen is the nutrient responsible for the dark green vertical growth of grass. This also makes it the fix to wilting and yellow grass. It is an instant lawn pick me up. Nitrogen helps optimises health, which makes the grass less susceptible to diseases.
- Sulphur is included to help the turf grass create the enzymes and proteins they need. The sulphur gets broken down by natural bacteria colonies into sulfuric acid, which the grass absorbs through its roots when needed.
For any more information or more technical information, about our Autumnblend fertiliser please contact us we will be more than happy to discuss it with you.
Autumn is an essential time of year to prepare your lawn and garden for winter. Follow the easy tips about mowing, watering and fertilising to make sure your backyard looks it’s best this autumn! Give us a call on 1300 781 175 for all autumn lawn queries!