So you're looking at pool landscaping ideas but aren't sure what kind of grass to use around your pool. We hear you.
Who knew Australia had so many different types of grass? You're obviously starting to notice now. It's a little like looking for a car. When you get your eyes on a particular model, you notice them everywhere!
This article will walk you through the best types of pool grass available as well as some of the important details you should be aware of before purchasing grass for your pool area.
Wait, did you just ask if pool water would kill the grass? No, we wouldn’t get you to buy grass that was destined to die around your pool, we promise.
How to choose the best lawn for near your pool
There are several things to consider when selecting the right grass for around your pool. We'll go over them all while keeping pool maintenance and lawn care in mind.
- In particular when it is first put in, grass next to concrete requires more watering. If you are installing irrigation, please bear this in mind
- Pool edges get a lot of foot traffic, look for resilient grass types that can handle your summer guests
- What type of water will be splashing onto your grass? Particular types of turf will be more sensitive to salt or chlorine
- Pools are often hit with a lot of sun in summer, so you will need to choose a drought tolerant lawn
- If you want to have shaded areas, make sure your grass can withstand less sunlight
Now you have the basic information, let’s look at the best types of grass for around your pool…
No.1 Pool grass - TifTuf Hybrid Bermuda
TifTuf Hybrid Bermuda will remain green throughout the hot summer months. It will withstand the kids jumping all over it and will not become patchy from your dive bombs into the pool. Laugh away; we know what you get up to.
Note: This grass is salt resistant
- Bright green with a fine texture
- Compared to other Bermuda grasses, it greens up quickly in spring and keeps its colour longer into the autumn
- Gifted with the ability to recover from drought successfully
- Has superior shade tolerance compared to other grasses
TifTuf Hybrid Bermuda has also been awarded the Smart Approved WaterMark for the following Australian states and territories: QLD, NSW, VIC, TAS, and SA (WA & NT excluded).
- Great resistance to foot traffic and sports
- Faster wear and tear recovery
- Accelerated injury recovery
- Turfgrass of choice for sports ranging from football, soccer, and rugby to golf and equestrian sports
- TifTuf is an excellent choice for home lawns due to its durability and quick recovery for families who enjoy outdoor activities.
Needless to say, this grass is legendary among green thumbs worldwide, and it comes with a 10-year warranty if purchased from the right company.
Check it out <Get 10 Year Warranty Here>
No. 2 Pool grass - Sir Grange Zoysia
The Sir Grange Zoysia is an excellent choice for your lavish pool landscape ideas that include shade from trees or shade-sails. Salt water doesn't bother Sir Grange in the slightest, and its incredible ability to recover from wear and tear has earned this unique lawn a place on many golf courses around the world.
- A luscious deep, dark green
- A fine bladed carpet of lawn
- Drought tolerance avoids yellowing in the summer
- Up to 75% shade tolerance avoids thin yellowing patches
No.1 Top selling Zoysia grass:
Sir Grange was originally created for the golf industry, but it was quickly discovered that, due to its characteristics, it would make an excellent home lawn. Its adaptability to a wide range of climates, combined with the attractive dark green leaf, has made it the best-selling zoysia grass in the US today.
- Mowing time is reduced by up to 50% compared to other common turf varieties
- Can be mowed at a variety of heights
- It requires 75% less nitrogen than other common turf varieties and, in many cases, little to no fertilizer at all!
As you can see, there's no reason to use fake grass around pool edges. Sir Grange Zoysia is a top choice for any Australian backyard, with or without a pool. If shade is an important factor in deciding which grass to use around your pool, your search for the best grass option has ended.
Final pool grass considerations
We were going to put in a section here about the pros and cons of grass around a pool, but the fact of the matter is, there is no reason not to use grass.
Who doesn't enjoy stepping out of the pool and onto fresh green grass?
Everyone secretly loves power hoses, but who wants to deal with discolored, slimy pool tiles all winter?
Don't even get us started on how much it hurts to fall over on pool tiles when you're not 7...